If your Discord keeps crashing or freezing during start-up or while working on it.
Don’t worry; you are in the right place.
In this article, I am sharing the 6 most effective solutions for both PC and Mobile to fix discord crashing and freezing issues.
But first I want that you should also know that why does discord keeps crashing.
Why does my Discord Keep Crashing and Freezing?____________________________
There can be multiple causes behind discord keeps crashing issues.
The major reason that I found was Discord Corrupted files or Discord Update.
Let share the list of all possible reasons that cause crashing and freezing which will also help you to understand and fix the problem.
- Problem with Device you are using
- Discord Update
- Discord Corrupted Files
- Audio Subsystem and Hardware Acceleration
- Discord and Device Cache
- Better Discord
Does the list looks lengthy, but remember more options and solutions, more is the chance to fix.
Discord may also crash on some specific points like while typing and streaming.
The below solution will fix all the problems.
Ok, let’s start the troubleshooting and fix the problem.
How to fix Discord Keeps Crashing on PC
Most of the users fix their problems by just following 1 or 2 methods.
But I am sharing all of them, as I am not expecting you to go without a fix.
Try these 5 effective methods step by step.
SOLUTION 1:- Clear Discord and Device Cache
Unwanted or Corrupted Cache and Files can also lead to Discord crashing and freezing issues.
Clear Windows Cache
To clear windows cache, follow these below steps
- Press Windows + R key and type TEMP in the RUN box and then hit on the Enter key.
- Temp folder will now be up, press Ctrl + A to select all the files and then press the Shift + Del key to delete all the files.
- Press Windows + R key again and type %temp% and then hit on the enter key.
- Another temp folder will be up, press Ctrl + A to select all and then Shift + Del to delete all these files.
You can also use Ccleaner which is a very good tool to clean your computer.
Clear Discord Cache
Ok, let’s see how to clear the discord cache now on the Windows computer.
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box. Type %Appdata%/Discord/Cache and hit on the Enter key.
- The cache folder will now be up, press Ctrl + A key to select all the files and then press on Shift + Del key to delete all these cache files.
SOLUTION 2 – Update Discord to fix Discord keeps Crashing
Outdated Discord can be another cause behind Discord keeps crashing.
The discord Developer team is always working to improve Discord and fix all bugs.
Updating Discord is very easy!
- Quit Discord completely, on Windows at the very right-hand bottom click on the system tray by clicking on the dropdown. Right-click on the Discord icon and choose Quit.
- Now launch Discord as an administrator, right-click on the discord icon and choose Run as Administrator.
If Discord update is available you will see Updating Discord status when Discord starts.
Check the article if discord update fails if discord is not updating.
SOLUTION 3 – Disable Hardware Acceleration on Discord
Discord hardware acceleration occupies more space from your CPU and GPU as well.
If you are playing games and using discord too, chances are space is full which can cause rendering problems.
Follow the below steps to disable Hardware acceleration on Discord
- Launch Discord application and then click on the User settings cog icon located at the very left-hand bottom.
- From the user settings, click on “Voice and Video”.
- Scroll down and under Video codec you will find “H.264 Hardware Acceleration”. Click on the toggle switch to turn it off.
Once done restart your Discord and check if the problems are fixed.
SOLUTION 4 – Enable Discord Legacy Mode
Probably your discord needs more settings to work properly and smoothly.
Discord legacy mode contains high settings and may fix Discord crashing issues.
- Launch Discord Applications and click on the user settings gear icon.
- From Discord user settings click on “Voice and Video”
- Scroll down to the Audio Subsystem. Click on the drop-down and choose Legacy.
Once done restart your PC,
SOLUTION 5 – Uninstall Better Discord Completely
If you have noticed that Discord keeps crashing with an error message of “Better Discord crashing discord client”
Here you have two solutions
Either your Uninstall Better Discord, or
Fix Better Discord and keep enjoying Better Discord with your application
Let’s fix Better Discord and Discord both
- Open your download folder to find a better discord exe setup file. If you don’t find then visit the better Discord website and download it again.
- Once downloaded, click on the setup file, and from the installation wizard choose Uninstall Better Discord.
- Now after uninstalling better discord, we also need to delete its file.
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box and type %appdata% and then click on OK.
- Now look for the Better Discord folder, click on it to highlight, and then press the Shift + Del key to delete the folder.
Better Discord has been now completely removed from your device, run the installation wizard again to install Better Discord.
SOLUTION 6 – Fully Uninstall Discord to fix Discord Keeps Crashing
Above 5 solutions worked for most of the people, but still not for you then this for sure.
Here we to completely uninstall Discord and don’t worry this won’t delete your personal files and data
- Press Windows + R key to open the RUN box and type appwiz.cpl and then click on Ok.
- Look for the Discord application, right-click on it and choose Uninstall.
- Once done, let’s remove it completely. Press Windows + R key again and type %appdata% to open the roaming folder.
delete discord folder
- Look for the Discord folder, click on it to highlight, and then press the Shift + Del key to delete it from the device.
- Press Windows + R key again and type %localappdata% and click Ok. Again look for the Discord folder, click once to highlight, and then press the shift + delete key to delete the discord folder.
Now you are ready to download and install again.
Visit Discord website and download discord again and hopefully, your problem will be fixed.
How to fix Discord Keeps Crashing on Mobile
I have also seen discord keeps crashing on Mobile as well.
If you have any problem with the discord phone app like freezing or not working problem, the below solution is for you.
SOLUTION 1 – Check your Phone Storage
Discord won’t perform well and also freeze if you have low storage on your mobile.
Here is the solution that you can try.
- Close all other running Apps: – Probably you are running too many apps together. Close all of them which are not currently in use.
- Optimize your Phone – Uninstall all the apps that you don’t use or used very rarely.
- Clear Cache of Apps – Open Settings > Apps and clear cache of apps like Chrome and other apps that have occupied a lot of space.
SOLUTION 2 – Enable “Force calls to not use OpenSL ES.
This mostly works on old phones or phones with low memory.
- Launch discord application and then tap on your profile picture, to pull up user settings.
- From user settings, tap on “Voice and Video” and then scroll down to the very bottom and tap on the last option that says “Force calls to not use OpenSL ES”.
Restart your phone, to see the changes
SOLUTION 3:- Disabling some Features from Discord Privacy
For Discord’s smooth functioning and to avoid crashing, freezing, and lag issues you may try disabling few features.
Disable “Use Data to Improve Discord”
- Launch the Discord application and tap on your profile picture.
- Tap on “Privacy and Safety” and scroll down to the “How we use your data” section.
- Disable “Use Data to improve Discord” by tapping on the toggle switch.
Disable “Automatically play GIFs”
- Launch the Discord application and tap on your profile picture to bring user settings.
- Tap on “Accessibility” and from the options tap on the toggle switch to turn off “Automatically play GIFs when possible”
SOLUTION 4 – Reinstall Discord
This is always the last and evergreen solution to fix any application.
Tap on your Discord app and choose Uninstall from the options.
Once done Download again from the play store or App store.
If you are having this trouble on your PC, then quitting discord completely may resolve the problem.
Open task manager on your windows computer by pressing Ctrl + Shift +Esc key.
Now, click on the Details tab and look for the discord.exe file. Right-click on it and choose “End Process Tree”
If this doesn’t fix, try the solutions given above
If your PC has a very low space on GPU, CPU, and RAM.
Yes, this can crash your PC if the Discord is occupying a lot of space.
You can try disabling, hardware acceleration on discord.
Also optimize your computer to free up some space, uninstall application your don’t use and close the program that currently not in use.
This can be because of two reasons
The message you are typing is either too long and needs a second line or either you are trying to paste some long sentences to discord.
Reset Discord settings, or bring discord to its original size as scaling discord can also cause crashing when typing.
Discord is becoming more and more popular not only in the gaming industry but also in other industries.
The problem always persists while using discord or any other application, but luckily you have the solution for all of them.
Hopefully, I have shared everything related to discord keeps crashing issues.
Please leave your comment that which method worked for you.