Discord is mostly used by gamers and it becomes really annoying when discord notifications are not working and due to which we may lose many important messages.
Notifications play an important role especially in the VoIP applications like Discord. I can say we don’t miss any DM and server chats just because of the discord notifications.
Discord is a VoIP application that is mostly used in the background for the voice chat during the gameplay using the overlay feature. In this article, I will cover how to fix discord notifications not working on PC and Mobile.
Why are my Notifications not showing on Discord?
There are many advanced features for notifications in discord that can stop the notifications. Another cause can also be because of the device issues or with the device notifications settings.
I am sharing few major causes behind discord notifications not working which will clear your concept behind this problem.
- Discord desktop notifications are disabled:- Discord has a desktop notification feature which is used to notify about the new messages and request. If this option is disabled you won’t be getting any notifications alert on PC.
- Discord Online Status:- Discord online status like “Do not Disturb“ can also stop the notifications.
- In-App and Tweak notifications in Mobile:- On the phone make sure discord in-app notifications and tweak notifications are enabled.
- Discord Cache: – Cache memory may conflict with access stored data. Clearing the discord cache can fix the problem.
- Device notifications settings: – There are notifications settings both on PC and Mobile that can also become a cause of discord notifications not working.
Let’s proceed to fix the problem, here we will start with PC and then on Mobile. Here I will also discuss discord notification badge or sound.
How to Fix Discord Notifications not Working (PC)
Here I will begin with the basic troubleshooting continued with the advanced methods to resolve discord notifications not working.
Before proceeding I would request you to restart discord as most of the time this basic method works and saves lots of time. I am sharing 7 methods that will surely fix your problem.
Method 1:- Check Discord Online Status
Discord provides you with 4 online statuses that you can set like Online, Do not disturb, Idle and Invisible. If you set the status to “Do not Disturb” in discord you won’t be receiving any notifications alert for calls and text messages.
So please assure that your status is not set to do not disturb. If yes then set the status back to “Online” and try again to check if this fixed the issue.
To set the status to Online in discord, open the discord application. Now click on the profile picture located at the very left-hand bottom. You will now see all 4 statuses, click on Online and you are all set.
Method 2:- Make Sure Desktop Notifications in Enabled
Desktop notifications in discord notify you about all the calls and messages alerts while you are on another app. If this option is disabled, you won’t be receiving any notifications. Follow the steps to enable.
Open the Discord application and click on the settings cog icon to open the user settings.
Now click on the “Notifications” tab from the left-hand panel. The very first option will be “Enable Desktop Notification“, make sure this is enabled.
Below you will find few more options like “Enable unread message badge” and “Enable Taskbar flashing“.
- Enable Desktop notifications: – You will be notified of all the alerts while on other apps.
- Enable Unread Message Badge: – This displays a red color badge on the discord icon to indicate that you have unread messages.
- Enable Taskbar Flashing: – This flashes the app in the taskbar when there is a notification.
Method 3:- Check Discord Server & Channel Notifications
Discord provides an option to disable or enable notifications for any specific server or channel. So if you found that discord notifications are not working for any specific server or channel, then follow the below instructions.
Discord Server Notifications: – On the desktop application, as soon as you open any discord server on the right-hand top you will find a 🕭 bell icon. This bell icon is to quickly mute the entire server notifications until you are mentioned.
Right-click on the server and check mute server option is not enabled.
Let’s move to the Server notifications settings. Right-click on the server and choose Notifications settings. A new box will appear with the entire server notifications options.
On the top, you will find Mute (Server Name), make sure this option is disabled.
Below are the server notifications settings, assure that it’s selected to All Messages. If selected to only @mentions you will only get the mention notifications and if set to nothing there won’t be any notifications.
Discord Channel Notifications:- Right-click on the channel and assure that the Mute Server option is not enabled. Also, check the bell icon of mute at the top.
Right-click on the channel and hover up to the Notification settings and make sure it’s set to server default or “All messages”.
Method 4:- Disable Streamer Mode
Enabling discord streamer mode will block all the discord notifications and will also stop channel join and notification sounds.
You can disable the streamer mode in discord with the below easy instructions.
Open the Discord application and click on the settings cog icon to open the user settings.
Now scroll down to the bottom to find “Streamer mode” under the app settings and click on it. In the streamer mode section, the first option you will find will be “Enable Streamer Mode” make sure this option is disabled.
If you do not want to disable streamer mode, then keep streamer mode enabled and turn off “disable notifications” by scrolling down. Try again and see if the discord notifications are working or not.
Method 5:- Update Discord
Discord may not work properly if you are using an outdated version and probably such notifications problems may arise.
Most of the time discord automatically gets updated but still, we need to assure that it’s properly updated. To update discord, right-click on the discord icon, choose “Run as an Administrator” and this will update discord.
Method 6:- Make sure Windows Notifications is enabled for Discord
On a Windows device, if your windows notification is turned off or disabled for discord then also the notifications will not work on discord.
Type “notifications” in the windows search box and choose “Notifications and action settings”.
Now in the Notifications make sure the “Get notifications from apps and other senders” option is enabled.
Scroll down to “Get notifications from these senders” and look for the discord applications. Verify that the notifications switch is on for discord.
Method 7:- Reinstall Discord
If none of the methods works for you then try reinstalling the discord application as the problem can be because of any corrupt installation files.
On a Windows device press the Windows + R key to open the RUN box. Type “appwiz.cpl” in the Run box and click on OK.
Windows program and feature box will now be up. Look for the discord application, right-click on it and choose Uninstall.
Once done navigate to discord official website and download discord again.
How to Fix Discord Notification not working (Mobile)
The troubleshooting methods to fix discord notifications are almost the same as on PC but the features and procedures are different.
I am sharing the complete list of methods that will help you to quickly fix discord notifications not working on android.
Method 1:- Check Discord Push Notifications
On mobile, we need to assure that “System notifications”, “In-app notifications” and “tweak notifications” are enabled.
- Launch discord application on your phone and tap on the profile picture to open the user settings. From the settings box tap on Notifications.
- Here you will find System notifications and In-app notifications. Make sure both these options are enabled and if not tap on the toggle switch to enable.
- Now tap on the Tweak notifications and assure that all the options under tweak are enabled.
Once done restart discord to check if this fixed the problem or not.
Method 2:- Check Mobile Notifications
Keep in mind along with app notifications you also need to check your phone notifications settings. Discord notifications may not work if the device notification is disabled.
- Open phone settings and then tap on the Notifications.
- In the notifications find discord applications. You can find it in the recently used app and then click on see all.
- Tap on the Discord app and make sure Show Notifications is enabled. There are other categories below, assure that all of them are enabled.
- Once done restart your phone and try again to check this resolved the issue.
Method 3:- Check Server & Channel Notifications
If you are done with the above 2 methods and still the problem remains then probably you have a problem with any specific server or channel.
Here you need to find on which server you are not receiving the notifications.
- Tap on the server icon and then on the 3 dot that is on the very right of the server name. This will open the server settings.
- Now tap on notifications to open the notifications settings. Make sure the server is not muted and in the notifications settings it’s selected to “All messages”.
- Below you will find mobile push notifications, enable them if disabled.
- Do the same for every server and channel you doubt.
Method 4:- Clear Discord Cache
Though caches are of great use but also they are junk data that can create issues sometimes with the applications.
I personally keep clearing discord cache and apply restart to fix most of the problems.
- Open Settings on your phone and then tap on App or App Manager. Scroll down to find the discord app and tap on it to open.
- Now tap on “Storage” and then tap on “Clear Data” and “Clear Cache”. Once done restart the device.
Method 5:- Update Discord and Phone
Outdated applications and devices may cause problems like discord notifications won’t work. Most of the time discord gets automatically updated but still, we need to assure here that both the discord and device are updated.
- Open Settings on your phone and then scroll down to find and tap on “Software update”.
- Now tap on “Download and Install” and this will start finding the update. If there is an update available proceed to update.
- Once the discord cache and data are cleared, you can open the play store or app store. Search for the discord app and see if you are getting the update option.
- If yes, then update and restart your phone.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTION
How do I get discord notifications to pop up?
If you want discord should notify you of all the messages and calls while minimized with a pop-up, then you need to enable discord desktop notifications.
All the steps have been explained above.
Discord Notification sounds not working on PC?
Open the Discord application and click on the Settings icon located at the very left-hand bottom.
Now click on the Notifications tab and scroll down to Sound. Enable all the options here.
These methods to fix discord notifications not working on mobile and PC are the best methods that will surely resolve the problem.
But from time to time there are many new bugs that can create such problems if any of the users find a new solution please let us knows in the comment box.
Do not forget to mention which method worked for you, I would be more than happy and other users too.